menu icon
Temporary resident permits (TRPs)

Temporary resident permits (TRPs)

An immigration officer may issue a TRP to allow a person who is inadmissible, or who does not meet the requirements of the IRPA, to remain in Canada. This page includes additional considerations for inadmissibility, human trafficking, family violence, stateless children, and more.

View website

produced by
Government of Canada
produced in
last reviewed
July 2020 i Last date reviewed by a qualified expert to ensure content up-to-date. See "Tips" in Clicklaw content criteria (bottom of pageside menu) for details.

Also available in:

French (web)

resource type
out-of-status foreign nationals experiencing family violence, mothers without status, victims of human trafficking, victims of family violence, removal orders and immigration warrants, stateless children of Canadian citizens