Common QuestionsHow do I make a complaint against my lawyer?
Lawyers must meet certain professional standards in their conduct (behaviour) and in the work they do. If you believe your lawyer is not meeting these standards, you can complain to the Law Society of BC. The Law Society is the organization that licenses all BC lawyers, and it also monitors, evaluates, and disciplines them.
Good starting points include:
- If You Have a Problem with Your Lawyer, from The Canadian Bar Association BC Branch (CBABC), explains what to do if you are having a problem with your lawyer and how the complaint process works.
- Complaints Against Lawyers, from the Law Society of BC, explains the process of making a complaint about your lawyer and the role of the Law Society.
- What You Should Expect From Your Legal Aid Lawyer, from the Legal Services Society, describes the role of a legal aid lawyer and what you can do if you have concerns.
See our related common questions:
- How can I get the best out of my lawyer?
- My lawyer’s bill is too high
- See all common questions about legal help & lawyers
- complaint about a lawyer, lawyer conduct, Law Society of BC