Common QuestionsHow can I get the best out of my lawyer?
In order to have the best experience working with your lawyer, you should know what to expect from him/her, as well as what your lawyer expects from you.
Good starting points include:
- What You Should Expect From Your Legal Aid Lawyer, from the Legal Services Society, describes the role of a legal aid lawyer and what you can do if you have concerns.
- How to Work Well With a Lawyer, from the Legal Services Society Family Law in BC website, provides tips for working well with a lawyer. It includes how to prepare for meetings, keep records, help the lawyer work efficiently, and follow through on your responsibilities. It also provides a downloadable checklist of all the tips. On the same site is a fact sheet on What You Can Expect From a Lawyer in a family law matter.
- Working With a Lawyer, from the Law Society of BC, gives tips on what to do before your first meeting, during your meeting, and on keeping your costs down.
See our related common questions:
- How do I make a complaint against my lawyer?
- My lawyer’s bill is too high
- See all common questions about legal help & lawyers
- working well with your lawyer, legal advice, law society of bc, legal aid