Common QuestionsHow can I get the best out of my lawyer?
In order to have the best experience working with your lawyer, you should know what to expect from him/her, as well as what your lawyer expects from you.
Good starting points include:
- What You Should Expect From Your Legal Aid Lawyer, from the Legal Services Society, describes the role of a legal aid lawyer and what you can do if you have concerns.
- How to Work Well With a Lawyer, from the Legal Services Society Family Law in BC website, provides tips for working well with a lawyer. It includes how to prepare for meetings, keep records, help the lawyer work efficiently, and follow through on your responsibilities. It also provides a downloadable checklist of all the tips. On the same site is a fact sheet on What You Can Expect From a Lawyer in a family law matter.
- Legal Help Resources, from the Justice Education Society of BC, provides online resources, videos, and worksheets in English, Chinese, and Punjabi. Topics include “How Lawyers Can Help” and “Getting Ready to Meet Your Lawyer", which contains information on what your lawyer will expect from you.
- Working With a Lawyer, from the Law Society of BC, gives tips on what to do before your first meeting, during your meeting, and on keeping your costs down.
See our related common questions:
- How do I make a complaint against my lawyer?
- My lawyer’s bill is too high
- See all common questions about legal help & lawyers
- working well with your lawyer, legal advice, law society of bc, legal aid