menu icon

Common Questions

Can my same-sex partner immigrate to Canada?

In 2002 Canada’s immigration laws changed to allow unmarried partners of Canadians (whether same-sex or opposite-sex partners) to be sponsored by their Canadian partners.

Good starting points include:

Need more help?

Check out the HelpMap for free, low-cost or sliding scale law-related help.

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed December 2017

immigrating to Canada, same-sex partners, sponsoring same-sex partner, gay rights, lesbian rights, lgbtq