Common QuestionsI want to find out about getting BC disability benefits
Note: There are some changes taking place on December 1, 2015 that may affect some of the resources on this page. Please see the Common Question, "How are BC disability benefits changing on December 1, 2015?"
If you have disabilities, you may qualify for either persons with disabilities (PWD) benefits, or persons with persistent multiple barriers (PPMB) benefits.
Good starting points include:
- The Persons with Disabilities (PWD) Benefit Application, from Disability Alliance BC (formerly BC Coalition of People with Disabilities) outlines who is eligible for persons with disabilities (PWD) benefits. It provides easy to follow directions to complete the designation application form for PWD benefits. Included are letters to give to your doctor and assessor. This help sheet is part of a series of 14 help sheets on BC disability benefits.
- Checklist for the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) Benefit, also from Disability Alliance BC (formerly BC Coalition of People with Disabilities), provides a checklist of some of the programs and benefits you may be eligible for if you receive PWD benefits.
- Disability Assistance, from the provincial government, provides information about applying for disability assistance. Persons with Disabilities Designation Application, provides a sample application form for PWD benefits.
- Financial Help for People with Disabilities from The Canadian Bar Association BC Branch, explains some of the help available and how and where to get more information.
- Disability Applications & Forms from PovNet, is a web page that provides entry points for applications and forms for people with disabilities.
Need more help?
- Advocacy Access Program, from Disability Alliance BC, provides assistance for people with disabilities.
- Find an Advocate, from PovNet, provides a list of community advocates who may be able to provide information or assistance regarding the application process.
- Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap.
See our related common questions:
- See all common questions about disabilities
- See all common questions about pensions, benefits & welfare
- disability benefits, income assistance, persons with disabilities (PWD) benefit