My landlord is threatening to evict me.

Last reviewed May 2024 by the Clicklaw editors

The law says that your landlord can only evict you for certain reasons. In other words, your landlord can only evict you if there is cause. They must give you written notice that gives the reasons for the eviction and how you can challenge the eviction. The amount of notice the landlords must give you depends on the reason they want to evict you. Find out more about the types of evictions (Government of BC). 

If a landlord wants to end a tenancy for extensive renovations or repairs, they need to apply for an Order of Possession from the Residential Tenancy Branch after they have got all necessary permits. Find out more about the eviction process for renovations (Government of BC). 

Helpful resources 

  • Evictions (Tenant Resources & Advisory Centre (TRAC)): This outlines how one-month, two-month, and four-month eviction notices work, including how tenants can challenge them. 
  • The Tenant Survival Guide (TRAC): This Wikibook has a chapter on evictions. 
  • Renting It Right (TRAC): This is a list of online courses for tenants. Ending a tenancy and eviction is covered in the course “Tenant-Landlord Law in BC.”
  • End a Tenancy (Government of BC): This explains how and when a landlord can end a tenancy lawfully. 
  • Tenancy Dispute Resolution (Government of BC): This explains the dispute resolution process, including how to apply for dispute resolution online. 
  • A Playbook for Tenants (People’s Law School): This helps you learn more about your rights as a tenant, including how to apply for dispute resolution. 
  • Renting in BC (People’s Law School): This webinar answers common questions about renting in BC.  
  • LSLAP Manual: Landlord and Tenant Law (PDF) (Law Students’ Legal Advice Program): This manual discusses evictions in the section “End of Tenancy.”

Helpful services 

  • Tenant Infoline (TRAC): This infoline provides information, referrals, and help for tenants dealing with residential tenancy law matters. 
  • Contact the Residential Tenancy Branch (Government of BC): The Residential Tenancy Branch provides information, education, and dispute resolution services for tenants and landlords. They also have an office in Burnaby. 
  • Find more services