menu icon

Common Questions

My employer declared bankruptcy. What about my pay cheque?
Last reviewed in February 2023 by the Clicklaw Editors

If your employer declares bankruptcy or becomes subject to a receivership under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, you may be eligible for the Wage Earner Protection Program (WEPP). This federal program pays eligible workers for unpaid wages, vacation pay, severance pay and termination pay that they are owed.

Good starting points include:

Need more help?

  • For help with general information by telephone, call 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-6232).
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap.

See our related common questions:

employment standards, payment of wages, bankruptcy, wage protection, Wage Earner Protection Program (WEPP)