menu icon

Common Questions

I need help with my income tax. What help is available for me?

Last reviewed December 2020 by the Clicklaw Editors

Income tax is the tax that the federal and provincial governments put on your income. If you were a resident of BC on the last day of the tax year, or you earned income in BC during the year, you may have to file BC income tax. Provincial income tax is filed with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) along with your federal income tax return.

You can pay a professional to help file your return, but there is also free help available. You can call CRA or go to one of their tax clinics. Tax clinics are also often offered through other non-profit organizations.

Good starting points include:

  • Dollars and Sense: A Guide for Your Money, from the Public Guardian and Trustee of BC, is a guide to managing money for youth, with a chapter on how to file your income tax.
  • Taxes & Tax Credits, from the Government of BC, provides personal and general tax information, including information for BC residents.
  • Income Tax Implications of Support Payments, from the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch (CBABC), outlines the effect of spousal support (sometimes called spousal maintenance) and child support on your income tax. The reference to “spouse” applies whether you are separated or divorced and includes ex-spouses. It also applies to common-law spouses.

Need more help?

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed December 2017
filing income tax returns, income tax, Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA), coronavirus, COVID-19, covid19