Common Questions

How is welfare different on and off reserve?

Welfare, also known as income assistance or social assistance, is money and other benefits for people who need financial help. There are different requirements for determining whether you qualify for a certain kind of benefit. Social assistance for people living on reserve comes from the government of Canada through Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC, formerly INAC). Income assistance for people living off reserve in BC comes from the BC provincial government through the BC Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation (MSDSI). Some social assistance services and benefits are different on and off reserve.

Good starting points include:

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed January 2015

welfare, income assistance, social assistance, living on reserve, off reserve