Common Questions

Can I get a legal order to keep an abuser away from me?

If you and/or your children are being hit or abused, you can apply to the courts for a protection order or a peace bond or a no-contact order to keep your abuser away from you and your children.

Good starting points include:

  • Live Safe — End Abuse: Protection Orders, from the Legal Services Society, is a fact sheet that describes what someone can do if they are afraid for their safety or the safety of their children because a partner has beaten or threatened them. Explains what peace bonds, no-contact orders and protection orders are, and who can help.
  • Applying for a Peace Bond and Filing Assault Charges, from the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch, explains what a peace bond is and what you need to tell the police so that the court may issue one.
  • For Your Protection: Peace Bonds and Family Law Protection Orders, from the provincial government and Legal Services Society, is a booklet that explains how and when people can apply for peace bonds and protection orders, and what the differences are between them. 
For more information and support, talk to a victim service worker in your community. Call VictimLink BC or use the HelpMap to find a service in your community.

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed January 2015
abusive relationship, relationship violence, family violence, protection order, peace bond, no-contact order, women facing abuse, spouse abuse