Common QuestionsI’m going to the interview for welfare. What do I need to know?
Applying for welfare involves having an eligibility interview with a worker from the BC government. There is a considerable amount of information to gather to give to the government worker at the interview. At the interview, expect the government worker to ask a lot of personal questions.
Good starting points include:
- Your Welfare Rights: A Guide to BC Employment and Assistance, from the Legal Services Society, has information on preparing for the intake interview and what to expect at the interview. See the chapter on "How to Apply for Welfare."
- Apply for Income Assistance, from BC Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation, is the online application for income assistance from BC Employment and Assistance. It has information on "Application & Intake" > "BCEA Application - Stage 2 - Eligibility Interview" > "Procedures" > "Documents Required for the Eligibility Interview".
See our related common questions:
- I have to go on welfare. What do I need to know before I apply?
- See all common questions about pensions, benefits & welfare
- welfare, applying for welfare, income assistance, welfare interview, eligibility interview, BC Employment and Assistance (BCEA)