menu icon

Common Questions

I’ve missed a few mortgage payments and am facing foreclosure

Last reviewed in February 2023 by the Clicklaw Editors

When you miss a payment, your lender may send you a reminder letter immediately. If they don't hear from you or don't receive the missed payment after that, they will send you a demand letter. In BC, the lender must send you a demand letter before going to court to ask for foreclosure. Foreclosure is a court process where the lender tries to take your property because you haven't paid your mortgage.

Good starting points include:

  • Foreclosure, from People's Law School, describes the foreclosure process and what you can do if a lender starts to foreclose on your mortgage.
  • Can't Pay Your Mortgage? What You Can Do If You're Facing Foreclosure, from the Legal Aid BC, is a booklet for homeowners who can’t make their mortgage payments, or have received a Petition to go to court. It explains what homeowners can do during foreclosure, and lists agencies that can help. Includes where to get required court forms online and instructions to complete them.
  • Consumer and Debt Law, from People's Law School, has information for advocates whose clients are facing foreclosure. See the chapter on " Mortgages and foreclosure," which includes strategies for solving the problem by reinstating or redeeming the mortgage, as well as tips for safeguarding the borrower's rights during the foreclosure process.

Need more help?

See our related common questions:

foreclosure, mortgage, missed mortgage payments