menu icon

Common Questions

The Ministry is threatening to take my kids

Last reviewed in April 2023 by the Clicklaw Editors 

It is best to get help from a lawyer and an advocate as soon as you know the Ministry of Children and Family Development has concerns about the safety of your child.

Good starting points include:

  • Child Protection, from Legal Aid BC, provides overview information for parents whose children have been taken – or may be taken – by the Ministry of Children and Family Development. 
  • Parents' Rights, Kids' Rights: A Parent's Guide to Child Protection Law in BC, from Legal Aid BC, explains what can happen if the Ministry of Children and Family Development has concerns about a child's safety and well-being or is planning to remove a child from the family home. It includes a chapter on "Getting legal help."
  • If You Can't Get Legal Aid for Your Child Protection Case, from Legal Aid BC. If you are facing a child protection hearing and can't get legal aid but also can't afford a lawyer, this explains how you can apply for a court-appointed lawyer.
  • Child Protection and Removal, from People's Law School, provides information about the child protection and removal process, including the rights of parents if a report is made 

Need more help?

For more information and to see if you qualify for a legal aid lawyer, contact the Legal Aid BC. Also check if you are eligible for getting assistance from the Parents Legal Centre.

See our related common questions:

child protection, removal of a child from the home, Ministry of Children and Family Development, parents, JG application, child protection hearing, legal aid, can't get a lawyer, can't afford a lawyer