Common Questions

What can I do if I suspect a child may be being abused?

Child abuse can take different forms. It may be physical, sexual, emotional, or the result of neglect. If you believe that a child (a person under 19) needs protection, you have a legal duty to report the matter to the Ministry of Children and Family Development by contacting your local child welfare worker. You do not have to give your name. When a report is made to a child protection social worker, the worker will determine the most appropriate response. A response may include, among other things, making a report to the police or conducting a child protection investigation jointly with a police investigation.

Good starting points include:

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed January 2015

child abuse, reporting a crime, exploitation of children, child neglect, child protection, removal of a child from the home