menu icon

Common Questions

Should I have an enduring power of attorney or a representation agreement?

Last reviewed in October 2021 by the Clicklaw Editors.

A power of attorney is a document that appoints another person, called an "attorney," to make financial and legal decisions for you. An enduring power of attorney (EPA) allows your attorney to make financial and legal decisions for you if you become mentally incapable because of accident or illness. But your attorney can't make health care decisions for you. To deal with health care decisions, you can make what is called a representation agreement (RA).

Good starting points include:

  • Nidus features an "Information" section with several resources that explain the difference between an EPA and the different types of RAs.
  • A Planning Primer, from People's Law School, takes you through the basics of personal planning and covers the key legal documents including an EPA and RAs.

Need more help?

  • Personal Help, from Nidus, provides free information, assistance, and practical tips on personal planning by phone or email to seniors and people in long-term care.
  • Seniors' Legal Clinics, from Seniors First BC, offers free legal consultations for seniors age 55+ (with low-income or other barriers).
  • Wills Clinic Program, from Access Pro Bono, offers free advice on personal estate matters for low-income seniors (ages 55+) and people with terminal ilnesses, which may include drafting an RA or an EPA.
  • Lawyer Referral Service, from Access Pro Bono, helps you connect with a lawyer for a free initial consultation of up to 30 minutes. If you'd like further help from the lawyer, you can retain them at an agreeable rate of charge.
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap.

See our related common questions:

power of attorney, enduring power of attorney, representation agreement, planning for your future, living will, EPA, RA