menu icon

Common Questions

Where can I get help with legal problems caused by wildfires in BC?
Last reviewed in August 2021 by the Clicklaw Editors.

If the wildfires in BC have affected your life, you may encounter legal problems related to the natural disaster and need financial assistance. Below are trusted sources of information that can help you during this challenging time.

EmergencyInfoBC is the provincial government portal for disaster responses, including the following information: 
  • Evacuation orders, alerts, and support for evacuees 
  • Travel advisories 
  • Recovery and support resources (financial support, BC Hydro bill help, ICBC claims related to wildfire damage, landlords & tenants issues, private insurance claims, etc.)
Emergency Support Services (ESS) Information Centre can answer your questions about short-term basic support to people impacted by the wildfire season. Call 1-800-585-9559 (toll-free), available 24/7.

Access Pro Bono provides legal FAQ sheets for these different areas of law:
  • employment law,
  • family law,
  • insurance law,
  • landlord-tenant law, and
  • strata (condo) law.

Need legal advice?

You may have to meet their eligibility criteria to access the following services.
  • Legal Aid BC has a province-wide Call Centre providing legal representation and information services. Call 1-866-577-2525 (toll-free) or 604-408-2172 (Greater Vancouver) to ask for legal help.
  • Access Pro Bono provides free legal advice to those impacted by the wildfires. Call 1-877-762-6664 or fill out their online form.

See our related common questions:

wildfire insurance, wildfire damage, wildfire disputes