Common Questions

I think I was sexually harassed. What can I do?
Sexual harassment is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature. Sexual harassment can happen to any gender or between members of the same sex.

The law that applies to a sexual harassment complaint varies depending on your situation, such as whether it happened in a workplace or between a landlord and a tenant.

Good starting points include:
  • Sexual Harassment, from the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch (CBABC), explains the types of sexual harassment prohibited by the BC Human Rights Code and what you can do if someone sexually harasses you.
  • Human Rights in BC: Sex Discrimination and Sexual Harassment, from the provincial government, provides definition of sexual harassment and tells you how to determine if you have a human rights complaint and where to get help.
  • Legal Help Guide for British Columbians - Human Rights Problems, from Nicola Valley Advocacy Centre and Courthouse Libraries BC, offers first steps and resources if you are being discriminated against or sexually harassed.
  • Workers’ Compensation, from the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch (CBABC), discusses Workers’ Compensation, a government program that pays benefits for workplace injuries, which include mental disorders as the result of sexual harassment.
Need more help?
BC Human Rights Clinic: The BCHRC can provide you with information on what protections are provided in the BC Human Rights Code and help you determine if your issue or concern falls under Code provisions. They can also offer practical suggestions that may help to resolve your issue, or in the event that you choose to file a formal human rights claim, provide information about how to proceed and what to expect.

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed December 2016

human rights complaints, sexual harassment, workers compensation, sex discrimination