Now on Clicklaw Wikibooks: Covid-19 Resources for British Columbians

Common Questions

Can Aboriginal children at risk be put in the care of relatives?

If the government ministry of Children and Family Development is concerned about the safety and well-being of any child, it must investigate. This can happen if, for example, there is a complaint about child abuse or neglect. If necessary, it can remove your child from your home, and this is called child protection.

However, BC law recognizes that preserving cultural identity is essential for an Aboriginal child's safety and well-being, and so if your child is to be placed outside your home, the ministry must first try to place your child with your relatives (extended family) or another Aboriginal family.

Good starting points include:

Need more help?

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed February 2018
child protection, removal of a child from the home, kith and kin care agreements, living with relatives,