Common Questions

I have an outstanding arrest warrant and I need welfare. What can I do?

As of June 2010, people with outstanding arrest warrants may be cut off or ineligible for welfare in BC until they take steps to deal with the outstanding warrant.

Need more help?

  • Find an Advocate, from PovNet, provides a list of community advocates who may be able to provide information or assistance regarding the welfare application process.
  • Community Law Program, from Community Legal Assistance Society (CLAS), provides legal advice and assistance to low-income individuals. They may be able to help if you have already made a request for reconsideration and you have lost your appeal to the Employment and Assistance Appeal Tribunal. See their fact sheet above for more details.
  • If you qualify for legal aid, Legal Aid Services, from Legal Services Society (LSS), may be able to help you with your criminal case.
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed January 2015

outstanding warrant, arrest warrant, cut off welfare