Common QuestionsI have an outstanding arrest warrant and I need welfare. What can I do?
As of June 2010, people with outstanding arrest warrants may be cut off or ineligible for welfare in BC until they take steps to deal with the outstanding warrant.
- Welfare and Outstanding Warrants, is a fact sheet available from Community Legal Assistance Society. It provides information on the types of warrants that may affect eligibility, how the ministry identifies warrants, and where you can go for legal help.
- Outstanding Warrants and Welfare, from the Canadian Bar Association, provides a more general summary of when this rule applies and the exceptions to it.
- The podcast New Provincial Law Bans Social Assistance for People with Warrants interviews Pivot lawyer Doug King. It provides general information about this new legislation.
See our related common questions:
- See all common questions about crimes & offences
- See all common questions about pensions, benefits & welfare
- outstanding warrant, arrest warrant, cut off welfare