menu icon

Common Questions

I have to do my own judicial review

Last reviewed November 2020 by the Clicklaw Editors

In a judicial review, the Supreme Court of BC can set aside a decision of a governmental body. In most cases, this is a tribunal. A tribunal is a special body or board that can hear complaints and make decisions in a specialized area of the law. To bring a judicial review, a number of court documents have to be prepared, filed in court, and copies given to various people. These documents include a petition and affidavit.

Good starting points include:

  • BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide, from the Community Legal Assistance Society, gives an overview of the entire judicial review process. It is for people who are representing themselves in a judicial review, and gives step-by-step information about filing court documents, and templates to use.
  • Judicial Review, from the Justice Education Society of BC, is a short guide that explains what judicial review is and describes the steps in applying for a judicial review.
  • LSLAP Manual: Public Complaints Procedures, from the UBC Law Students Legal Advice Program, has a section on review of Provincial Court and tribunal decisions.

Need more help?

  • Community Law Program, by CLAS, provides legal advice and assistance on judicial reviews to low-income individuals, generally to appeal a decision. You can also submit your question using their online form.
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap.

See our related common questions:

administrative tribunals, judicial review, representing yourself, eviction, residential tenancy branch, human rights tribunal, employment and assistance appeal tribunal, employment standards tribunal, workers compensation appeal tribunal, appeal board, review board, worksafe bc