Common QuestionsI’m having problems with my neighbours
Many of us have had occasional problems with neighbours. Common problems involve noise, dogs, fences, trees, or secondhand smoke. In most cases, you can try talking to the person causing the problem. They may not be aware of the effect they're having on their neighbours and talking to them may solve the problem. But if that doesn't work, you have other options.
Good starting points include:
- Neighbour Law, from the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch, provides an overview of problems between neighbours involving noise, untidy premises, dogs, fences, trees and hedges, second-hand smoke, water damage, and trespass.
- Tenant Survival Guide, from Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre, includes a chapter on "Privacy & Quiet Enjoyment When Renting."
See our related common questions:
- See all common questions about housing, tenancy & neighbours
- See all common questions about rights & citizenship
- neighbours, noise, noisy, trees and hedges, pets, loud neighbours, tenants' rights, right to quiet enjoyment