menu icon

Common Questions

I want to know what my rights are as a condo/strata owner

Last reviewed in February 2023 by the Clicklaw Editors

Strata housing is often referred to as condos or condominiums. However, strata housing can also include duplexes, townhouses, fractional vacation properties, and even single family homes in bare land strata corporations (“strata subdivisions”). The BC Strata Property Act and the strata corporation's bylaws and rules determine your rights and responsibilities as a strata owner.

Good starting points include:

  • Owning a Condominium, from People's Law School, provides an overview of what is involved in being a strata title owner, what a strata corporation does, and what laws apply to condominiums.
  • Strata Owners, from the Government of BC, has an overview of the legal roles and responsibilities of strata owners.
  • The provincial government website has information about strata housing that includes "Understanding Stratas", "Operating a Strata", "Resolving Strata Disputes", and "Renting, Building and Selling Strata".
Do you have a dispute?

Need more help?

  • If you are thinking about getting legal advice, the Government of BC has a page on Getting Legal Advice on Stratas with options that are available to you.

See our related common questions:

condos, strata properties, property owner, condominium owner rights, Strata Property Act