Common QuestionsMy client put a deposit on an item and the store went out of business; my client doesn’t have the item or the deposit
Consumers, along with suppliers and employees, may encounter a situation where the company they are dealing with stops operating. The resources below provide legal information on deposits and consumer transactions and tips on how to locate a company that has gone out of business.
Good starting points include:
- Consumer Law and Credit/Debt Law, from the Legal Services Society, has information for advocates about client problems relating to consumer goods in the chapters "Deposits in Consumer Transactions" and "Sale of Goods Law."
- Out of Business Consumer Tips, from the Better Business Bureau of Mainland British Columbia, has some tips about ways to track down an out of business firm.
See our related common questions:
- I bought something online and now I want to cancel. Can I do that?
- What can I do about faulty repairs to my vehicle?
- See all common questions about consumer
Last reviewed January 2015
- consumer goods, contracts, deposit