menu icon

Common Questions

I want information about subsidized housing for seniors

Last reviewed in August 2022 by the Clicklaw Editors

BC Housing is a provincial government agency that offers subsidized housing. There are also programs that can help seniors who own their home, such as programs that offer property tax grants and deferments. As well, there are programs that can help pay for changes to a home to make it more accessible.

Good starting points include:

  • Subsidized Housing, from BC Housing, has information about subsidized housing, including who is eligible, how to find subsidized housing, and how to apply.
  • When I'm 64: Services for Older Adults, from People's Law School, has a section on "Housing." It covers housing benefits available to you if you are renting or you own your home.
  • Benefits Finder, from the federal government, is an online tool that helps you make a customized list of Canada-wide and province-specific programs and services.

Need more help?

  • Find an Advocate, from PovNet, provides a list of community advocates who may be able to provide information or assistance regarding your rights and government benefits.
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap.

See our related common questions:

seniors housing, subsidized housing for seniors, affordable housing for seniors, supportive housing for seniors, subsidized assisted living, Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER)