Common Questions

I am trying to set up a trust for someone who has a disability

Note: There are some changes taking place on December 1, 2015 that may affect some of the resources on this page. Please see the Common Question, "How are BC disability benefits changing on December 1, 2015?"

Many people with disabilities find they have extra costs because of their disability. People who have these or other disability-related costs (and their families) may want to create resources to pay for these costs now and in the future.

The resources below explain the different kinds of trusts, who can set one up, and how it may affect disability assistance.

Good starting points include:

  • Disability Assistance and Trusts, from the provincial government, provides overview information about what a trust is, how a trust is set up, and how it can make payments.
  • Trusts for People Receiving the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) Benefit, from Disability Alliance BC, is a factsheet that explains what a trust is, who can set one up, and how they work.
  • How to Create a Trust for People with Disabilities, from the Voice of the Cerebral Palsied of Greater Vancouver, provides extensive information on issues to consider in creating a trust for a person with a disability, what assets are allowable, what a trust can pay for, how to set up a trust, and disability tax credits. (Please note that this guide may contain some references to outdated legislation.)

Need more help?

  • Advocacy Access Program, from Disability Alliance BC, provides assistance for people with disabilities. They can direct you to community organizations that may provide information about trusts to you.
  • Lawyer Referral Service, from the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch, offers an initial consultation of up to 30 minutes with a lawyer for $25. You may need a lawyer to set up your trust.
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap.

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed November 2015
trusts, trusts for people with disabilities, people with disabilities (PWD)