Common QuestionsWho owns my medical records?
Many people think that their medical records are their own property, but they actually belong to the doctor or hospital that made them. However, the information in the medical records belongs to you, and normally, you have a right to see that information.
Good starting points include:
- Getting Your Medical Records, a Canadian Bar Association BC Branch factsheet, outlines who owns medical records, and what you can do if you have a problem getting access to your medical records.
- Medical Records FAQ, from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia, is an online resource that explains what a medical record is, who owns it, and when a third party is entitled to access information contained in it.
See our related common questions:
- See all common questions about health
- See all common questions about privacy & access to information
- medical records, access to your medical records, personal health information, privacy