menu icon

Common Questions

How can I dispute a traffic ticket?
Last reviewed in May 2022 by the Clicklaw Editors

It is important to figure out what type of ticket you have been given because the dispute process (the way you challenge the ticket) depends on the type. For minor (less serious) traffic violations there are two types of traffic tickets or charges. Violation tickets are given for offences under provincial laws, and offence notices are given by a municipality (city).

For more serious traffic offences, such as careless driving or hit and run, you will get a written notice of the offence in the form of a summons or an appearance notice that tells you when you have to appear in court. You may want to seek advice from a lawyer for this matter.

Good starting points include:

Need more help?

  • Lawyer Referral Service, from Access Pro Bono, offers a free, brief initial consultation with a lawyer to determine your legal needs. If you would like further help from your lawyer, you can retain them at an agreeable rate of charge.
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap.

See our related common questions:

traffic ticket, disputing a ticket, violation ticket, offence notice, speeding ticket