menu icon

Common Questions

I’ve been charged with drinking and driving

Last reviewed in May 2022 by the Clicklaw Editors

Drinking and driving cases can be very complicated. The resources below provide information on the crimes you can be charged with under the federal Criminal Code and prohibitions you can receive under provincial law if you are accused of drinking and driving.

Good starting points include:

  • Impaired Driving, from People's Law School, provides an overview of the charges for drinking and driving, what you must do, and what might happen.
  • LSLAP Manual: Motor Vehicle Law, from UBC Law Students' Legal Advice Program, includes a section on motor vehicle offences for drugs and alcohol.

Need more help?

  • Call Legal Aid BC Call Centre at 1-866-577-2525 to apply for legal aid.
  • Lawyer Referral Service, from Access Pro Bono, offers a free, brief initial consultation with a lawyer to determine your legal needs. If you would like further help from your lawyer, you can retain them at an agreeable rate of charge.

See our related common questions:

drinking and driving, charged with a crime, impaired driving, over .05, over .08, driving under the influence, dui, dwi, blood-alcohol level, motor vehicles, prohibition, roadside suspension, immediate roadside prohibition, administrative driving prohibition