menu icon

Common Questions

What assistance is available if someone breaks into your home?

Last reviewed October 2020 by the Clicklaw Editors 

When a person goes into someone’s home without permission and intends to commit a crime, or commits a crime, a residential break and enter (B&E) has occurred. Emotional support, justice system information, safety planning, referrals to counseling, and support during court attendance are examples of the assistance that may be available to you through victim services and other agencies.

Good starting points include:

  • Help Starts Here: If You Are a Victim of Break & Enter, from the provincial government, provides an overview of services available if someone has broken into your home.
  • Victims Info, from the Justice Education Society of BC and the provincial government, is an online resource for victims and witnesses of crime in BC. Look for the page on Break and Enter.
  • Victim Help and Support, from the provincial government, provides a list of services available to victims of crime in BC. 

Need more help?

  • VictimLinkBC, from the provincial government, provides information and referral services to all victims of crime. It is a toll-free, confidential, multilingual telephone service available across B.C. and the Yukon 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 1-800-563-0808 to get referred to an office near you.

See our related common questions:

break and enter (B&E), victim of crime, theft