Common QuestionsWhat assistance is available if someone breaks into your home?
When a person goes into someone’s home without permission and intends to commit a crime, or commits a crime, a residential break and enter (B&E) has occurred. Emotional support, justice system information, safety planning, referrals to counseling, and support during court attendance are examples of the assistance that may be available to you through victim services and other agencies.
Good starting points include:
- Help Starts Here: If You Are a Victim of Break & Enter, from the provincial government, provides an overview of services available if someone has broken into your home.
- Victims Info, from the Justice Education Society of BC and the provincial government, is an online resource for victims and witnesses of crime in BC. Look for the page on Break and Enter.
See our related common questions:
- See all common questions about housing, tenancy & neighbours
- See all common questions about victims of crime
- break and enter (B&E), victim of crime, theft