Now on Clicklaw Wikibooks: Covid-19 Resources for British Columbians

Common Questions

I’m taking care of a relative’s child. What kind of benefits can I get?

For those taking care of a relative's child at the request of the child's parent(s) and the parent(s) are unable to pay for their child's basic needs, there may be some support available to you.

Good starting points include:

Need more help?

  • Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Line, from Parent Support Services Society of BC, has a toll-free line providing assistance to grandparents and other relatives raising children full-time in their homes in BC. They help you with advocacy around kinship care benefits (including Extended Family Program, CIHR, and government benefits).
  • Find an Advocate, from PovNet, provides a list of community advocates who may be able to provide information or assistance regarding government benefits.
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed January 2018
welfare, child in the home of a relative benefit, raising a relative's child