Common Questions

If I don’t get welfare this month I’ll lose my housing

If you have an urgent need for shelter, then you must ask for an “Immediate Needs Assessment” when you apply for welfare from the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation. If the Ministry finds that you have an immediate need for shelter (or for food or urgent medical care), they may be able to quickly provide you with hardship assistance.

Good starting points include:

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed January 2015
applying for welfare, income assistance, hardship assistance, welfare and housing, hardship benefits