menu icon

People's Law School

People's Law School is a BC non-profit organization with recognized expertise in high-quality public legal education and information. It works to help British Columbians recognize the legal aspects of everyday situations and take appropriate action. Services include: reliable, easy to understand information on and; webinars; print resources through Crown Publications; and a Q+A email service.

View website

Online Resources

Showing 31-40 of 226 results

Sort by:
When Your Common-Law Spouse Dies

Learn your rights, and what you’re entitled to, if your common-law spouse dies. Learn what happens if your spouse left a will, if they didn’t, and if you had children.
View website from People's Law School

Dividing Property and Debts

When their relationship ends, spouses are presumed to keep property they brought into the relationship and to share in property they acquired during their relationship. The same goes for debt.
View website from People's Law School

Medical Malpractice

Medical malpractice occurs when a health care provider gives substandard treatment that causes harm to a patient. Learn your rights in getting medical care and what can constitute medical malpractice.
View website from People's Law School

Residential Tenancy

BC’s residential tenancy law applies to most types of rental housing in the province. Learn key aspects of this law, and answers to common questions raised by tenants and landlords.
View website from People's Law School

Dealing with Debt Collectors

If you’re behind on debt payments, there are laws to protect you from harassment by collectors. For example, collectors can’t use threatening language or contact you during certain times of day.
View website from People's Law School

Charging Someone with a Criminal Offence

Typically, for someone to be charged with a crime, the police must recommend charges and a prosecutor (called Crown counsel) must approve the charge. Learn what’s involved in the process.
View website from People's Law School

Marriage Agreements and Cohabitation Agreements

Not all relationships last forever. With a marriage or cohabitation agreement, couples can plan for if their relationship ends, as well as how to handle things while they are together.
View website from People's Law School

Traffic Tickets

The police give out a “violation ticket” for less serious driving offences. Learn the options available if you get a traffic ticket, and the steps involved in disputing the ticket.
View website from People's Law School

The Points System and ICBC

If you get a ticket for a driving offence, you’ll typically get points on your driver's record. The more points you rack up, the more you’ll pay in insurance premiums.
View website from People's Law School

Seniors' Rights and Elder Abuse

When someone in a trusted relationship with an older person does something that harms or distresses them, this is elder abuse. Learn what options exist if you suspect elder abuse.
View website from People's Law School