menu icon

Common Questions

What assistance is available to people affected by flooding in BC?
Last reviewed in December 2021 by the Clicklaw Editors. 

If you are affected by the recent flooding in British Columbia, you may need financial assistance and seek help for your legal problems. Below are information resources to help you navigate this challenging time. 

Access Pro Bono has legal FAQ sheets created in response to 2021 weather emergencies. The topics covered are:
  • employment law,
  • family law,
  • insurance law,
  • landlord-tenant law, and
  • strata (condo) law.
The provincial government's Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA)
  • DFA eligibility has been expanded for people affected by flooding and landslides from November 14 to December 2, 2021. It now includes British Columbians in the province's northwest, southwest, central, and southeast areas and on Vancouver Island. The 90-day deadline for applications is March 3, 2022.
  • This assistance includes all Indigenous communities, electoral areas and municipalities within those geographic boundaries.
  • DFA is available to homeowners, residential tenants, business owners, farm owners, and charitable organizations unable to obtain insurance to cover disaster-related losses.
  • See a summary of DFA in the BC government's press release (December 5, 2021).
Insurance Bureau of Canada
  • Call 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422) for help with consumers' questions about their home, business, or vehicle insurance policy.
  • Their website tells you about insurance coverage, action items if the storm damaged your property, and making a claim.
  • For acquiring a replacement driver's licence, BC Services Card and BC identification card, visit a driver licensing office or call 1-800-950-1498.
  • If the weather has damaged your car, their website tells you what to do.
Residential Tenancies BC: Natural disasters and tenancies
  • What you need to know if you're a landlord or a tenant impacted by natural disasters.
Small Business BCBC Flood Resources for Small Businesses
  • Frequently asked questions on issues affecting small business owners, including insurance coverage and tax relief measures.
Vancouver Humane SocietyFlood Evacuee Veterinary Support
  • Financial assistance with veterinary costs for pets.

Need more help?

  • Legal Aid BC has a province-wide Call Centre providing legal representation and information services. Call 1-866-577-2525 (toll-free) or 604-408-2172 (Greater Vancouver) to ask for legal help. Eligibility criteria may apply.
  • Access Pro Bono provides free legal advice to those impacted by the flooding. Call 1-877-762-6664 or fill out their online form. Eligibility criteria may apply.
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap.

See our related common questions:

BC flooding, flooding insurance, flooding damages, flooding disputes