Now on Clicklaw Wikibooks: Covid-19 Resources for British Columbians

Common Questions

My landlord gave me an eviction notice. What can I do?
The Residential Tenancy Act gives tenants the right to challenge all eviction notices. If you want to challenge the eviction, you need to be aware of the strict deadlines to apply for dispute resolution.

Note: The Residential Tenancy Act was amended on May 17, 2018. See the changes affecting notices to end tenancy for landlord use on the Residential Tenancy Branch website.

Good starting points include:
  • The Tenant Survival Guide, from TRAC, has a chapter on evictions.
  • Evictions, from TRAC, has information on all types of eviction notices and how they can be disputed.
  • Renting it Right, from TRAC, is an online course that covers evictions in a section called "Ending a Tenancy".

Need more help?

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed May 2018 by the Clicklaw Editors and TRAC
tenants, landlords, eviction, notice to end tenancy, eviction notice