Common Questions

My medical records have been mishandled. Who do I contact?
Many people assume that if their medical records have been mishandled, it is automatically a privacy issue. While it is to some degree, medical records, medical care, conduct of physicians etc. fall under the Health Professions Act.

Any complaints or concerns need to be brought to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia, who have their own complaint mechanisms. For more information on the complaint process and what to expect, visit their “File a Complaint” page, which includes information in: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Filipino, Korean, Persian, Punjabi and Vietnamese.

Need more help?

For more information about the College’s complaints process, please visit or phone 604-733-7758 or 1-800-461-3008 (toll-free in BC).

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed May 2017
medical records, requesting your medical records, CPSBC, doctors & health care providers, making a complaint about a doctor