menu icon

Common Questions

How can I request information that doesn't fall under "personal information"?

Our common question, How can I get access to my personal information from public or private bodies?, addresses personal information. What if you want to request other types of information?

At the provincial or territorial level (BC), public sector access and privacy regimes are usually governed by the same laws. The BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) provides the legal framework for both general and personal record requests.

At the federal level (Canada), you can request records under the Access to Information Act (ATI).

Freedom of Information (FOI) is based on the right to request records, so you must request the records that contain the information you are looking for. Follow the step-by-step guide here to learn how to make a request.

Need more help?

The FIPA HelpLine helps the public with their questions, problems and concerns regarding access to information and privacy protection by providing information and non-legal advice.

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed May 2017
access to records, BC Freedom of Information and Privacy Association (FIPA)