menu icon

Common Questions

I work for a federally regulated industry (e.g. a bank, an airline, trucking, broadcasting) and my employer laid me off. I think it was because of my age

Last reviewed in October 2020 by the Clicklaw Editors

If you have been harassed or put at a disadvantage because of who you are, you have experienced discrimination. The Canadian Human Rights Act says it is illegal to discriminate against someone based on things such as age, race, or sexual orientation.

If you work in a federally regulated industry and believe you have been discriminated against, you can complain to the Canadian Human Rights Commission.

Good starting points include:

Need more help?

See our related common questions:

human rights, human rights complaint, discrimination, discrimination at work, Canadian Human Rights Commission (CHRC), Canadian Human Rights Act