Common QuestionsI need to take someone to small claims court
Small claims court is designed to be a "do-it-yourself" kind of court, where ordinary people can handle their own cases, whichever side they're on. Small claims court is for claims up to $25,000.
Good starting points include:
- Small Claims BC, from the Justice Education Society, is a website that provides information and videos about what to expect in small claims court. If you are going to court in Vancouver or Richmond, this site has information about the special small claims procedures in those locations.
- Making a Claim in Small Claims Court, from the provincial government, explains what is involved in taking someone to small claims court. It provides step-by-step instructions on how to fill out the notice of claim, with examples. This guide is part of a series of Small Claims Guides from the provincial government.
- Small claims court forms are available online from the provincial government. The forms are in a PDF format that you can fill out and print. Also available is the Small Claims Court Filing Assistant, which is designed to help you complete small claims court forms online.
- Small Claims Court Factsheets: Starting a Lawsuit, from the University of Victoria Law Centre, covers the steps you should take before starting a lawsuit in small claims court, and how to prepare the paperwork needed to start the lawsuit. There are 19 other Small Claims Court Factsheets in the series that explain more details about small claims court.
As of December 2016, the Civil Resolution Tribunal's Solution Explorer is available to beta test for Small Claims matters. This means you can find more resources and tools to help you with your small claims matters. After the testing period, the CRT will be taking the Solution Explorer beta offline to add some new legal information and tools, before starting to accept small claims disputes.
See our related common questions:
- I’m being sued in small claims court
- Provincial Court resources for everyone: small claims court
- See all common questions about courts & tribunals
- small claims court, going to court, representing yourself, starting a lawsuit, making a claim