Common QuestionsI’ve been turned down for CPP disability benefits
If your application for Canada Pension Plan disability benefits has been denied, you have the right to appeal.
First Level of Appeal
If you receive a letter from Service Canada denying your application for CPP disability benefits, you can request a reconsideration of the decision within 90 days of receiving the letter. This step can take several months.
Good starting points for information on making a reconsideration request:
- CPP Disability Benefits Appeal Guide, Part 1, from Disability Alliance BC, is a guide to the reconsideration process.
- General information about the reconsideration process, from Service Canada.
Next Level of Appeal
If you then receive a letter denying your reconsideration request, you can appeal to the General Division of the Social Security Tribunal (SST).
Note: This appeal process is a result of a change in 2013. The former Review Tribunal (RT) and Pension Appeals Board (PAB) have been replaced by the SST. Any appeals filed with the PAB that were not heard by March 31, 2013 have been transferred to the SST which will now hear all CPP appeals.
The SST has two Divisions:
(2) Appeal Division, which deals with appeals of General Division decisions.
Good starting points for information on filing an appeal with the SST:
- The Social Security Tribunal, from Disability Alliance BC, is a guide for people and advocates who are appealing denial of CPP Disability to the SST. It explains the new process in place since 2013.
- How to appeal a Canada Pension Plan decision: General Division, from the STT, provides information about how to file an appeal.
Need more help?
- CPP Disability Benefits Advocacy Program, from Disability Alliance BC, assists people with disabilities to apply for and appeal the denial of the federal CPP Disability Benefit.
- Find an Advocate, from PovNet, provides a list of community advocates who may be able to provide information or assistance regarding the application process.
- Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap.
See our related common questions:
- See all common questions about disabilities
- See all common questions about pensions, benefits & welfare
Last reviewed November 2015
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP) disability benefits, reconsideration, appeals, Social Security Tribunal, SST, Service Canada