Common Questions

A woman is being abused by her partner. What legal help can she get?

If a woman is being abused by her partner, the legal help available includes:

  • calling the police
  • talking to a victim services worker
  • contacting a local women's centre, transition house, Aboriginal friendship centre, or immigrant service organization
  • asking for help in making a safety plan
  • getting a court order to keep the abuser away from the woman and her children (a peace bond, protection order, or no-contact order)

Good starting points include:

  • Family Violence, from the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch, provides an introduction to the legal options available for those experiencing abuse in a relationship.
  • Live Safe, End Abuse, from the Legal Services Society, has a fact sheet that explains what a safety plan is and how to make one for at home, after leaving an abusive relationship, and your children.
  • For Your Protection: Peace Bonds and Family Law Protection Orders, from the provincial government and Legal Services Society, explains how and when people can apply for peace bonds and protection orders, and what the differences are between them.

Need more help?

For more information and support, talk to a victim service worker in your community. Call VictimLink BC or use the HelpMap to find a service in your community.

See our related common questions:

Last reviewed January 2017
abusive relationship, relationship violence, violence against women, peace bond, protection order, women facing abuse, spouse abuse, family violence, safety planning