menu icon

Common Questions

I’m helping someone on welfare who the Ministry says has been overpaid

Last reviewed December 2020 by the Clicklaw Editors

If the Ministry says that you need to pay back money because of overpayment, it is always best to talk to an advocate. An advocate is someone who can help explain the Ministry’s claim and what your options are. He/she can also assist you in finding legal help.

Even if you agree that you owe the Ministry money, an advocate may be able to help you create a repayment schedule that suits you and satisfies the Ministry.

Good starting points include:

Need more help?

  • Find an Advocate, from PovNet, provides a list of community advocates who may be able to provide assistance or information about welfare.
  • Find more help near you on Clicklaw HelpMap

See our related common questions:

welfare, welfare overpayment, repayment agreement